Tuesday, December 12, 2006

oh, and!

i was just leaving a comment about how i'm stupid over at tart's, and in doing so, i remembered having a different stupid moment just this morning that i wanted to share with you all! season of giving, and all that. i generously give you my embarrassing inner monologues.

as background, every now and then i have these little linguistic epiphanies. when i have them, i often marvel at the fact that i can walk and chew gum at the same time, because only a monumentally idiotic person would not have figured these things out yet. for instance, i remember when it dawned on me that the letter "W" was shaped like a double "U." Double U = W. amazing! and the time when i realized that "cigarette" was "little cigar." oh, how i marveled at that one.

so today, i am walking toward the elevator on my way into work. i am thinking about nothing in particular and everything all at once. for some reason i am thinking about portrait of the artist as a young man (shut up), and the passage early in the book where stephen, as a child, is imagining his own funeral. part of what he thinks is "The bell! The bell! Farewell! O farewell!" and then i thought about the variation on "farewell," "fare thee well," and how it such an antiquated sounding term.

and then i was like, wait. "fare well." farewell. holy shit.

i tell you, sometimes i blow my sad, addled, pre-caffeinated mind.

6 comments:

Jayne said...

that was enjoyable. :)

DancingFish said...

Those little moments are priceless!I was in high school by the time I realized that it was the right-hand side of the road, not the right-as-in-correct side of the road that I was suppossed to be riding my bike on...

Cinnamon said...

I came out of the dentist when I was 13 and saw a Plymouth car parked in front. But I read it as Ply Mouth so I was convinced that it was the official car of dentistry.

Toast said...

"fare well." farewell. holy shit.

Wow.

Heather said...

It took me amazing amounts of time to connect the word chaos with it's spelling. I knew both the spoken word and the written word, and I knew they both meant the same thing, but I still thought they were different words.

Incidentally, I spend way too much time trying to pronounce the security words. Today's is mauag.

Toast said...

OK, I'll fess up: Until about two years ago, I thought "segue" was was short for... um... segue.