Saturday, September 23, 2006

one reason that i will not miss chicago.

there are many reasons why i will miss chicago, of course, and i plan to document them here before our departure. but this was the situation in the area last night:

The thunderstorms first erupted in the western suburbs about 5 p.m. and rolled east, according to the National Weather Service. The onslaught led many municipalities, including Chicago, to use emergency sirens.


and by emergency sirens, they mean the tornado sirens.

um, yes.

thank god i was out at a reading with roni and cinnamon when all this happened, or else i feasibly could've dropped dead from fear. we couldn't hear the sirens from inside the bookstore, though, even though roni's husband called her to let her know that there was a tornado warning in effect. when i got home later, BoyCat told me that he heard the sirens from here inside the apartment.

luckily for chicagoland, no funnel clouds actually touched down. but really, not having to worry about the wail of tornado sirens in my newest city of residence will be a relief!

2 comments:

Jared Goralnick said...

yep, now you can just worry about terrorist attacks...

Anonymous said...

I heard the sirens while I was on the train and my thought was woo hoo! And I began to sing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" in my head.

But the only funnelcloud I saw on Friday was the one in my head after I lay down due to the 2 martinis. Oy! I'm such a lightweight.