Tuesday, September 05, 2006

a feel-good ending (at least for the red sox fan in the apartment).

there was much rejoicing and jumping around in the living rooms, family rooms, and dens of my hometown last night, as one of our own hit a walk-off homerun to win it for the red sox at fenway last night:

Carlos Pena had plenty of make-believe, game-winning homers for the Boston Red Sox during his youth. This time it was reality...the Red Sox tied the score in the ninth inning and beat the Chicago White Sox 3-2 on Monday night on Pena's home run leading off the 10th. "Do you know how many times I'm doing this in my backyard? It's amazing," said Pena, who grew up about 40 miles north of Boston and went to college at Northeastern. "It's definitely the most exciting moment of my career, no doubt about it."


i went to high school with this guy, and he was seriously one of the nicest people you will ever meet. hard working, unassuming, always smiling. i know what you're thinking - those people don't exist! and i hardly believe it myself. but carlos peña is one of them, and i jumped around my little living room in chicago last night for him too.




way to go, carlos!

4 comments:

jayniek said...

AND he's Remy's "Dawg of the Day"...
awesome.

Anonymous said...

The Red Sox are still playing? I thought they'd gone home for the off-season.

kate.d. said...

The Red Sox are still playing? I thought they'd gone home for the off-season.

look at that, i write a nice little post about a nice guy living out a dream, and you can only snark about it.

you are a true yankees fan, my friend :)

Roni said...

Awesome! That makes last night's win even more delish.