Monday, March 27, 2006

as noted by kurt vonnegut.

not much left in the tank tonight for blogging, so i will merely share this bit from timequake, which nudged its way unassumingly into my memory earlier today:

In chapter 2 of this wonderful book of mine, I mention a commemoration in the chapel of the University of Chicago of the fiftieth anniversary of the atom-bombing of Hiroshima. I said at the time that I had to respect the opinion of my friend William Styron that the Hiroshima bomb saved his life. Styron was then a United States Marine, training for an invasion of the Japanse home islands, when that bomb was dropped.

I had to add, though, that I knew a single word that proved our democratic government was capable of committing obscene, gleefully rabid and racist, yahooistic murders of unarmed men, women, and children, murders wholly devoid of military common sense. I said the word. It was a foreign word. That word was Nagasaki.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey I know that place! I went to a Hiroshima Day remembrance ceremony there.