Sunday, October 30, 2005

a disclaimer of sorts. or maybe an entreaty. or an explanation wrapped in a request.

ok, i'm going to re-post my comment from the below thread here (with typos corrected!), because it seems it's something that is not coming across clearly:

here's the thing: i do have strong opinions, but that doesn't mean they're ultimately not open to revision. i put this stuff out there because i am open to hearing other perspectives - otherwise, i'd just keep it to myself! my tone isn't meant to shut down discussion, it just represents where i'm at right now - i haven't come to these opinions lightly, but i have no illusions that they are an endpoint for me.

long story short - i hope people are not dissauded from responding to my genuine appeals for thoughts and disagreements just because i seem set in my ways. i might argue or disagree with you at the moment, but i'm listening, and that's the only way thus far i've been able to keep evolving my own perspective.


i'm writing in this kind of public forum because i genuinely want to hear thoughts, opinions, and disagreements from people. if that doesn't come across via my writing style and tone, i apologize, but i'm stating here and now that comments are welcome and much desired. i am thinking all of these things through, and i appreciate everyone's two cents along the way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Be careful what you wish for ;-) I might be forced to start commenting on "The O.C."

kate.d. said...

ah, but in order to do that you'd have to start watching the o.c.! and then you'd lose a little bit of your soul to Fox, and you wouldn't want that would you?