it's that time of year.
1. What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before?
ha, that's easy - i got married.
2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
hmmm, let's see. i did mildly to moderately well on my resolutions from last year:- start approaching life as something to be experienced, not just survived: not there yet, but goddammit i'm working on it.
- cook more: yes, i did - i bring leftovers for lunch all the time.
- run a five-mile race: nope. i abandoned this one purposefully, because i really wasn't into it. i do go to the gym on 5-6 times a week, but life's too short to force yourself onto the treadmill, you know?
- get over myself, in general: again, a work in progress.
for this year, i haven't formulated any concrete resolutions yet. but i think i will.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
nope, i don't think so.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
yes, my grandmother died of cancer in april and my uncle einar died of cancer in july.
5. What places did you visit?
i logged a lot of airline and highway miles in 2008! in chronological order, we hit: chicago for a wedding, vegas for our wedding, downstate illinois for a wedding, home for a funeral, great barrington for a wake, home for a party, downstate illinois for another wedding, and home for christmas. next year we're taking a proper vacation that doesn't involve someone getting married, i swear!
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
more money would always be great, but i'm not holding my breath on that front. a little less static. a little more peace of mind.
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
friday, may second, in the year of our lord two thousand and eight, as they say on the fancy wedding invites that we definitely did not have :) i know i'm not a big proponent of weddings and what not, and i'll always kind of considerour "actual" anniversary, it was no doubt a major step for jason and me to bind ourselves together in the legal sense :)
8. What was your biggest achievement(s) of the year?
i'd say asking for new title and a raise, and getting them both. that always feels good.
9. What was your biggest failure?
waiting so long to kickstart a process that needed to happen in order to improve my sanity and quality of life. but hey, better late than never.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
i got the flu from HELL back in february. i'm hoping to avoid a similar fate this year.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
plane tickets to vegas! twice actually, as i just booked our flight for next year too, yessssss.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
the person who turned my new ipod nano - which i couldn't have had for over a month - in to lost and found at the gym. amazing.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
everyone who voted for Prop 8 in california. what a step backwards.
14. Where did most of your money go?
rent. and savings. and plane tickets. and hotel rooms. and new ipods.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
i know i sound like a broken record here but vegas vegas vegas. the whole trip was so much fun, and i can't wait to go back next year. mcdonald's breakfast, and blackjack, and fontana bar, and free drinks, and cabanas, and gonzales y gonzales, and....
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
viva la vida by coldplay. it came out during the height of a lot of emotional stuff, and i heard it often during the summer. i remember driving home on 295 from einar's wake, exhausted on so many levels, and it came on the radio - something about the insistent violins and the rolling drums as i made my way home at sunset - i just cried and cried. sad/beautiful, as they say.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:a) happier or sadder? hmmm. probably a bit sadder. but i'm hoping for a really good 2009 to return the equilibrium.
b) thinner or fatter? i'd say just about the same.
c) richer or poorer? richer.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
reading. smiling. cleaning. happy hour-ing.
20. How did you spend last year?
same as every year, back home at my parents' house. and this year we got to meet the newest addition to the family, the little rotund kitten clarice. jason wanted to steal her.
21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
stayed solidly in the "love" camp, yes.
22. How many one-night stands?
23. What was your favorite TV program?
mad men. wow i was a little obsessed with that show. can you believe elisabeth moss didn't get a golden globe nomination?? scandalous.
24. What did you do for your birthday in 2008?
escaped the DC august heat and headed home - went to a lovely lake party thrown by my family, and also spent much time by the pool. and golfed. yes - i can golf!
25. What was the best book you read?
the brief wondrous life of oscar wao, by junot diaz. though the title drives me crazy - a comma or an "and" pleeeeeease, you're killing me here! also, i became completely enamored with the kenzie/gennaro mysteries by - they are such page turners, i've read each one within 48 hours at most. can't put them down.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
beyonce! preachin' it! "if you liked it then you shoulda put a ring on it" - god i could listen to that damn song 500 times.
27. What did you want and get?
a vacation with jason. a raise. a new phone. stronger muscles. tickets to the dark knight. a new president.
28. What did you want and not get?
a new tv (just have to keep banging on the top of the old one for now). a cat without chronic health issues (awww poor dottie).
29. What was your favorite film of this year?
the dark knight, definitely. that reminds me, i want to put it on my netflix queue to watch again.
30. Did you make some new friends this year?
i did! though i'd like to step up my efforts to get out and see people more - it can be so easy to get into hermit mode. so hey, if you ever want to hang out, let me know! and remind me i'm trying to avoid hermit-tude.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
pretty pretty ponies.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
basic. key to this year's wardrobe upgrading - more color. my closet is like a sea of black, brown, gray, and white, with a little bit of green and blue thrown in. would it kill me to purchase something red??
33. What kept you sane?
jason. my family. books. naps. booze.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
obama. c'mon now.
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
if you didn't cry on election night, then you have no soul. and if you cried on election night because mccain lost, well...you have no soul ;)
36. Who did you miss?
all my massachusetts darlings, as usual. the absolute biggest drawback to living in DC.
37. Who was the best new person you met?
clarice. oh wait, she's not a person. but whatev, she's a fat kitten and i looooove her.
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
oh, and i tag toast, because he gets mad at me when i don't! but all you other meme-lovers, consider yourself tagged as well.