Friday, March 31, 2006

a potential insight into my inability to lose weight.*

*now before any of you jump on me, i'm not actively trying to lose weight. however, i have been a bit puzzled by the fact that my increased time and effort at the gym over the last month or so has not resulted in a few shed pounds. moving along.

so yesterday, BoyCat arrived home from his shift at the media place, and we commenced chatting about this and that. he mentioned that "hey, that tamale was really good," meaning the frozen tamales that we bought at trader joe's over the weekend. "oh, that's good. we'll have to get some more."

fast forward to 15 minutes later, with BoyCat in the kitchen preparing his lunch and dinner for the next day, and me loafing about uselessly. BoyCat says, "that tamale was so good, i'm going to bring the other one for tomorrow." (somewhat obviously, they come in packs of two.) i said, "wait, you only ate one for dinner tonight?" he said, "um, yeah." i looked at him with slight astonishment, and said "huh. that makes me feel kinda bad. when i have the veggie burritos for dinner i always eat both of them."

now it was BoyCat's turn to look at me incredulously. "really?" he said. i said, "well yeah. but the veggie burritos are kinda little. they're not the same size as the ones you make." BoyCat said, "oh," in that way that signaled the only one still interested in the conversation was me. but i persevered. "yeah," i said, "they're like the size of..."

and just at that moment, BoyCat pulled his second tamale out of the freezer to wrap in a bag.

"...um, that. they're that size."

sigh. i never have been very good with portion control...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pumpkin seeds will do that to you too.

jayniek said...

Portion control is seriously more difficult than figuring out isotopal half-lives (and more emotionally jarring). Honestly, a half-cup of ice cream? That's not a serving... that's a damn tease. I seriously eat more than that while I'm twirling the spoon around thinking about how big my other 4 scoops will be.

So yea, don't read serving sizes.
You know who made those up?
That's right... Dr.Phil.

artdetective said...

On a somewhat related note, I was getting a 16 oz coffee this morning at an art school cafe. To me, 16 oz. is a lot of coffee, and requires many sugars. Eight, if the coffee is really strong. So this art school student who is also getting coffee goes, "you're really serious about the sugar!" and I said, "yeah, I, uh, used to take Equal in my coffee so I got used to having it really sweet" (which may or may not be true -- why did I feel the need to make excuses? I just like sweet coffee). And then she goes, "Well, I guess it's all right, if you're really tired." And walked away. At which I thought, where does a nineteen year old get that kind of attitude? My point is simply that it doesn't matter what other people think, if you are happy. And also, those sugar packets are really small.