Sunday, November 13, 2005

if the next harry potter is this disturbing, i'm going to need some kind of medication.

so on friday night BoyCat and i watched Crash, and last night we went out with friends to see Capote. a real feel-good, happy fun time movie weekend. i would highly recommend both movies, but not together in a 24 hour time span. you might be driven to drink copious amounts of vodka and ramble about the state of humanity.

and seriously, harry potter better be a game of candyland next weekend, or i might not know what to do with myself.

oh, i know, it's not that bad (harry potter, that is). i don't read the books, so i am not nearly as invested in these characters as you book-readers (you know who you are). that bodes well for me, as i should be able to watch the next harry potter movie with interest, but without the peculiar sensation that i kinda can't breath.

on the way out of the theater last night, our friend remarked how during a culminating scene (i won't say anything particular here, as the movie really was great and you should go), she felt like she needed to remind herself to breath. i think it's rare when a movie can actually achieve that emotional state in a viewer, but this one did. Capote felt longer than its alleged hour and forty minutes running time, but the pacing fit with the narrative, which was (fittingly) about a book that took over six years to write. while i didn't necessarily sympathize with anyone in the movie (except maybe Catherine Keener as Harper Lee, who was great and understated and crucial), but by the time the movie began to move towards a close, i was seriously invested. it wasn't until the credits started rolling that i realized my body had been in some state of tension or another for the last half hour or so.

so between last night and Crash, i am drained. they sucked me dry. my threshold for emotional involvement today will be the Bears game and the travel section of the Sunday Tribune.

oh, and an update: i'm going to win $310 million on tuesday night. the ticket last week didn't work out, but this time i've got the right one. so seriously, get back to me about the presents. if i don't hear from you, then you're getting a Jaguar, as they never go out of style.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can hardly wait to go see the next Harry Potter. However, I must warn you that if it is anything like the book, things will only get more disturbing. So you might want to look into that medication :)

Roni said...

As for a gift...just pay Ella's tuition at daycare. Or make a large donation to her college fund.

~Selfless mama

HAWAII with money for the babysitter

~Selfish mama

Anonymous said...

a cozy little home on the coast of Maine and a nice penthouse in mid-town Manhattan....ummmm

-purely selfish mama:)

kate.d. said...

you know, i saw a listing for a fantastic manhattan loft the other day ...and it was only $7 million! pennies to me, after tuesday.

oh, and roni, your first request made me think of that "college fund" commercial...the one where they save and save and save and then the daughter gets a scholarship, and they buy a boat and call it "college fund." i imagine that ad pains my dad every time he sees it, as he always wanted a boat but there were no scholarships for me :)

Anonymous said...

Wait a second: You're "emotionally involved" with da Bears??? Do I detect a note of hypocrisy, Ms. Boston Sports Enforcer?

kate.d. said...

toast - the bears and white sox are my adopted teams now that i'm here in chicago - BoyCat's lifelong allegiances became mine when we set up shop in chi-town.

but my heart always ultimately lies with boston...which made this years ALDS series very difficult to watch. so i pretty much didn't. watch, that is.

Anonymous said...

I've never read or watched anything Harry Potter, because let's face it, I'm succeptable enough to cults as it is, but here's something about the movie I do find disturbing: Daniel Radcliffe is oddly sexy. I don't think it's OK to imagine yourself running anlong a beach hand in hand with Harry Potter. Toss me some of those meds, please.

Anonymous said...

Holy shit Mike...You crack me up. I am howling like a hyenia right now.

PS-Kate I was so caught up by Harry Potter aspect of this postI forgot to request my gift...I would like a house. I have not decided where yet, but that is what I want.

Roni said...

Oh...we made very sure that if Miss Ella gets a full ride somewhere or doesn't go to college (like that's going to happen!) that the hubby & I will be setting sail somewhere. OK, not sail, as he doesn't like boats, but jetting off somewhere.